Notes from the Community Meeting
A Community Meeting was held on Friday 20 September to discuss the closure of the SH25 bridge at Kuaotunu from 8am on Sunday 22 September for up to 5 weeks. The meeting was facilitated by Brent Page of KRRA with assistance from Gary Towler, TCDC's Civil Defence Controller.
The main points were:
- While this roading project is subject to weather conditions, it is hoped the repairs will be completed before the 5 week deadline.
- The project involves removing the floor of the bridge in order to improve the piles and put in place a second skin that will hopefully prevent further erosion issues.
- A temporary bailey bridge was considered by the roading contractors but found not to be practicable.
- Using Wade Rd as an alternative route is not possible due to the volume of forestry harvesting being undertaken on this route and the associated risks of this.
- The emergency services have made resourcing adjustments to ensure they can cope with any emergencies that arise.
- Post and courier services will continue as usual.
- Jannine Verner of Kuaotunu Katchup offered to set up a Facebook group to facilitate car pooling (see Kuaotunu and Surrounding Communities will Travel).
- The meeting expressed interest in a bus service being set up to run from Kuaotunu to Whitianga; Jannine offered to run a poll on the new page to guage interest in this.
- Gary Towler is going to check with Higgins to ensure that no services (such as telecommunications) are affected by the bridge repairs.